Friday, March 27, 2015

Leaving PETRONAS Part 3 - Why do I leave?

So Exactly Why do I leave?

I've fixed my relationship with my boss. The first interview job caught my attention but is this the reason why I leave?

It's all started after I passed my TPCP assessment in July 2013. I was practically the fastest person who exit ACD, and the youngest Staff. After that assessment, I sat down, thinking what do I want to do next. I was firm that at least in the next 5 years, I want to do more serious technical work, not the team lead position that I'm currently holding. But to be specific what sort of technical work? And which department to go?

To be honest, both the international and Basin Studies (XBD), I don't like them. I think maybe the way the department and business was run. In terms of robustness, I think exploration Malaysia wins. We still struggle to get the data internationally let alone propose a meaningful activities.  As for the XBD, those peeps go to a lot of data review, but rarely I see meaningful projects were secured. So no, at least for that year I don't want to go to both international or XBD.

MPM? Oh no. This is even worst. Maybe if they think I should go to MPM I'll go in the next 10 years but definitely not now.

I want a new breath. Different perspective, different way of thinking to look at things. I want to interact with different people. I want to know and understand how others do things. So I opted for a Masters program. A break for a year to satisfy my hunger for new breath and new environment. Then I thought, I'll come back and enrich others.

But Allah is a better planner. My application got turn down both by the management, and the university. Later that year, I conceive my third baby. So yes, no masters for me.

Comfort Zone
By this time most people already know my capability. Bosses trusted me. I read through LBVF, consistently peers, subordinate and superior praised my technical capability. My salary with PETRONAS is already very good. Work as a team leader is manageable. I mean, I already know the nitty picky details of the managerial work, and with my technical capability, it is easy peasy job.  PETRONAS is basically a homogeneous company, I pretty much know the culture and way out to things. I also know that I have a future with PETRONAS, both the technical path or managerial path. I basically sitting in my comfort zone.

I started feeling uneasy. I'm afraid this comfort will turn me into grumpy old lady, that later down the line wouldn't want to listen to the juniors because "I am old and has already eaten more salt than you". I also started feeling bored. I never sat doing 1 thing for more than 3 years, and I was with Sabah Exploration for almost 5 years and I am bored. I practically need to drag myself and creatively have to think of creative ways to make my job interesting everyday.

At the same time I missed being unknown. I missed learning new things. which include understand different background and culture. I missed being alone, nobody knows me, and started my learning curve. 

So I need to go out from this comfort zone. And this is the main reason why I leave.

Interview questions
It was the same question when I introduced myself and explaining my 10 years experience with PETRONAS. In 10 years time, I've covered quite a lot from the exploration spectrum, and also development. I was so steep on my career path in that 10 years time. I achieved a lot of things in that 10 years.
"Why do you want to go out since you have a very bright future in PETRONAS?" this is consistently being asked by all interviewers.

And I answered the same. I want to go out from my comfort zone and see where I stand with reflect to the world's oil industry. I want to learn new things. I want to learn different way of doing this. I've made 3 discoveries, until now we cannot monetize it. I want to learn how to do this differently.

If its for the money, I would have leave the corporation 5 years ago. If its for the money, I would not have come back in the first place. 

No comments: